Are you excited it’s finally fall? Have you broken out the pumpkin yet?! Last week, I went a little pumpkin crazy with pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin spiced lattes, and pumpkin pie smoothies.
The kind folks at The Maca Team sent me some samples of their red and black maca, so I tested the red maca out in the pumpkin pie smoothie…success! Maca and pumpkin are a match made in heaven! It tastes JUST like drinking a slice of pumpkin pie with whipped cream.
What is MACA?
- Maca is a plant from the Peruvian Andes. Its root has been prized for thousands of years due to its ability to increase energy, stamina and fertility for all people and animals who eat it.
- Maca is very nutrient-dense. Dried Maca root contains 13-16% protein, 8.5% fiber, 19 essential amino acids, vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, C and D, minerals iron, magnesium, copper, zinc, sodium, potassium, calcium, several glucosinolates, 20 free fatty acids, and unique compounds called macaenes and macamides. Beyond that, Maca is one of only a handful of foods considered to be an “adaptogen.”
- Maca can aid in hormone balancing, endocrine and thyroid function enhancement and even immune system enhancement.
In addition to maca, this smoothie is boosted with:
- Collagen for hair, skin, nails, and gut health.
- Coconut oil for fatty acids, metabolism, and anti-microbial properties.
- Bee pollen for energy and a boost to the immune system.
- ¼ c pumpkin puree
- 1 c milk (I use fresh cashew or coconut milk or canned light coconut milk)
- ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbsp collagen (Vital Proteins or Great Lakes)**
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (Tropical Traditions is great)
- 2 dates
- 1 tbsp red maca
- ½-1 tsp bee pollen
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- Handful of pecans (around ⅛ cup)
- stevia, raw honey, or maple syrup to taste (I used 4 drops stevia)
- 1-2 cups ice
- Optional: Whipped cream or coconut whipped cream to garnish
- **If you are vegan, omit the collagen, bee pollen, and honey and choose a vegan protein powder and sweetener.
- Place everything except ice in the blender and blend until smooth
- Add ice and blend to desired consistency
- Top with whipped cream or coconut whipped cream
Have you tried maca? Did you notice an increase in energy and vitality? I’d love to hear your experience in the comments!