As kid I hated oatmeal…I was very surprised when I made it for my son and he loved it (and I’ve grown to love it, too)! This is why I always tell moms of little ones to keep offering new foods…even if they are foods you don’t like!! You will constantly be amazed at what your kids will eat.
Oatmeal is a great budget stretcher for us and was one of the first grain items we re-introduced after the GAPS/SCD diet. The only problem I have with oatmeal is that in can leave you feeling hungry shortly after eating it if you’re not careful. By boosting it with grass-fed butter (or coconut oil), chia gel, collagen hydrolysate, fruit, nuts, and hemp hearts, you will be satisfied for a lot longer.
When I have left-over oatmeal to use, I mix it with eggs and make delicious fried oatmeal pancakes!
Let’s Talk avodart About Chia Seeds…
Chia seeds contain omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and minerals, help you feel full longer, and regulate blood sugar…Now you can see why I add it to my oatmeal! I recommend keeping a jar in your refrigerator at all times.
To make chia gel, simply combine 1/4 c chia seeds with 1 c water, cover and shake. Wait 15-30 minutes. Not only is chia gel great in this porridge, but it is perfect in smoothies, pudding, pancakes, and as a topping for yogurt!
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Add oats, salt, and butter (or coconut oil), stir, and return to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, until it reaches your desired texture, adding more water if needed.
- To serve: add cinnamon, chia gel, collagen hydrolysate, milk or cream, and whatever fruits, nuts and seeds you like!
Benefits of sprouted oats:
- Whole grains are transformed into a living food when they are sprouted.
- Sprouted grains contain more nutrients that are more easily digested and absorbed.
- Sprouting grains provides several nutritional benefits.
- Sprouting increases vitamins, enzymes, and minerals and makes them more bio-available.
- Complex sugars are broken down, which make side effects of accutane digestion easier.
Does your family enjoy oatmeal? What are your favorite oatmeal toppings?