Are you trying to weed out processed food from your diet? Salad dressing is a GREAT place to start. By making your own dressing, you can avoid unhealthy additives and customize the ingredients to suit your tastes and dietary needs. Most importantly, fresh dressing is infinitely better than store-bought dressing in terms of flavor…and often-times very simple to make!
While there are some companies that are striving to make products that are somewhat healthy, the ingredients for most can be downright appalling! Here are the ingredients in my childhood favorite dressing (Yikes!):
Soybean Oil, Water, Egg Yolk, Sugar, Salt, Cultured Nonfat Buttermilk, Natural Flavors (Soy), Spices. Less
than 1% of Dried Garlic, Dried Onion, Vinegar, Phosphoric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Modified Food Starch, Monosodium Glutamate, Artificial Flavors, Disodium Phosphate, Sorbic Acid and Calcium Disodium EDTA as Preservatives, Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate.
I personally love making dressings from scratch, and hope after trying some of these recipes, you will too! My all-time favorite salad dressing is super basic…just lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. I use it all the time on Rainbow Kaleslaw. Over the holidays, we enjoyed a lot of elderberry vinaigrette on Festive Superfood Kaleslaw. Sooooooooo good. I don’t know if you’ve had a chance to try my Avocado Ranch Dip, but it makes a great dressing for coleslaw as well!
The other night, my parents were over for dinner, and I wanted to make my dad a salad reminiscent of his favorite Thai Crunch Salad from CPK. It was a hit! Here’s the recipe:
- Juice of 3 small limes
- 1 Tbsp liquid coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1 Tbsp Tamari or coconut aminos
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- ⅛ tsp powdered ginger
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Optional: If you like your dressings sweet, you can add a bit of honey or coconut sugar. I like mine zingy, so I didn’t add sweetener.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- To serve: Toss with one head of shredded cabbage, a bunch of fresh cilantro, and garnish with avocado, shredded carrots and sesame seeds. Toss with some chicken or shrimp, and you have a complete meal!
Here are 20 More Salad Dressings You Can Make From Scratch:
- Creamy Parmesan Dressing // Intoxicated on Life
- Homemade Ranch Dressing // My Lamp is Full
- Bleu Cheese Dressing // The Liberated Kitchen
- Homemade Ranch Dressing // Well Fed Family
- Lemon Vinaigrette // This House of Joy
- Elderberry Vinaigrette // This House of Joy
- Basic Vinaigrette // Well Fed Family
- Lemon Garlic Salad Dressing // Well Fed Family
- Tomato Basil Vinaigrette // A Proverbs 31 Wife
- Red Raspberry Salad Dressing // Richly Rooted
- Honey Mustard Dressing // Richly Rooted
- Sweet & Tangy Spinach Salad Dressing // A Proverbs 31 Wife
- Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette // Intoxicated on Life
- Honey Mustard Poppy Seed Dressing // The Liberated Kitchen
- Immune Boosting Salad Dressing // Growing Slower
- Spicy Southwest Dressing // Growing Up Triplets
- Five Gluten-Free Salad Dressings // Natural Living Mamma
- Vidalia Onion Salad Dressing // Amazing Graze Farm
- Sardine Salad Dressing // The Liberated Kitchen
- Avocado Ranch Dip // This House of Joy
Do you make your own dressings? If so, what is your favorite? Let me know in the comments!!
Don’t want to miss another recipe or post? Sign up now for the weekly newsletter!
This post was shared with Healing with Food Friday and Simple Saturday.